Make sure you read that correctly: one billion, with a b, not a million. No video has every surpassed that mark before in the history of the world's most popular video sharing site.
In addition, although YouTube does not mention it, there are also a number of other copies of the video on the site, meaning Psy's hit song has probably seen its video viewed many more times in unofficial versions.
Among the tidbits of data that Google revealed when posting the announcement are the following:
- "Gangnam Style" reached one billion views in just over five months. The chart here shows that the video is still seeing views increasing at a very steep angle.
- While Psy was popular in Korea, he was not so well-known in the rest of the world, until "Gangnam Style."
- The video has been seen at least one million times in each of nearly 75 countries, "making it one of the most global music sensations ever."
- Hundreds of thousand of covers and parody videos have been uploaded to YouTube, and some of those have reached tens of millions of views. Fan tributes to "Gangnam Style" are now being viewed 20 million times every single day.
- Psy's own remix with Hyuna has 200 million views alone.
- "Gangnam Style" was YouTube's top rising search of 2012. On Oct. 6, Google saw over five million searches for “gangnam style” on that one day.
- Analysts claim that “Gangnam Style” has generated more than $8.1 million in advertising deals, achieved more than 2.9 million in song downloads since July, along with more financial success.
- Since late November, people have clicked to buy the track on iTunes more 600,000 times, making Psy the first Korean artist ever to rank no. 1 on the U.S. iTunes chart and no. 1 in more than 30 more countries.