The new Nexus device, which Google traditionally uses to showcase a new version of Android, will be based on LG's recently introduced Optimus G smartphone. The device will sport Android 4.2, which will surely upset those annoyed at Android fragmentation, since Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) was only introduced about two months ago.
On Friday, along with the rumor of an LG Nexus device, details on the specifications of the device also leaked, and were reportedly confirmed.
- Based on the Optimus G, but with differing appearance
- Android 4.2
- Quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor
- 2GB RAM
- 1280 x 768 True-HD IPS screen
- On-screen soft keys
- 8 megapixel rear-facing camera
- 8GB and 16GB versions, but no microSD slot
- Fixed battery
- Built-in wireless charging
The last two Nexus smartphones, the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, were produced by Samsung. The first Nexus smartphone was done by HTC, the Nexus One. The last Nexus device wasn't a smartphone, but the Nexus 7 tablet, produced by Asus.