Saturday, February 15, 2014

Samsung, Apple to return to court after failed mediation session

A CEO-level mediation session scheduled to occur on or before Feb. 19 -- between Apple and Samsung -- has failed. With that, The Valentine's Day report from The Verge isn't really unexpected: The two device giants are headed back to court.

While neither company is confirming the meeting, multiple Korean news outlets have issued reports on the taks. Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung's mobile chief and co-CEO J.K. Shin reportedly met last week. Paperwork filed in early January indicated that ahead of the next courtroom case in their ongoing patent, the two sides had agreed to a mediation session.

Given the contentious history between the two companies, it is unsurprising to hear that the talks were unproductive. Similar talks proved equally fruitless back in 2012.

It's also not surprising because Samsung has been quite clear that "settlement" was not in its dictionary. In November of 2012 Shin, commenting on an agreement between Apple and HTC, said ""It may be true that HTC may have agreed to pay 300 billion won (US$276 million) to Apple, but we don't intend to (negotiate) at all."

This is the second patent lawsuit case between the two giants. It covers different devices than the one that Apple won in August of 2012. In that case, a jury said that Samsung had infringed on six of Apple's mobile-device patents. Apple was awarded a total of roughly $930 million, as a result.

The case is Apple Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., and will be heard in U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (docket 11-1846) and is scheduled to begin on March 31.

No comments: