The announcement took most of the media by surprise. It had been assumed that Samsung would announce the new phone at a London event on June 20.
The hardware specs are now confirmed -- or at least a number of them are. They include the following, along with a comparison with the GS4 and the earlier presumed GS4 specs:
- CPU: 1.7Ghz dual-core processor (exact type unknown); Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5410 (eight cores) or Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (quad-core) for the GS4; dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 had been assumed for the GS4 Mini
- RAM: 1.5GB; 2GB (GS4); 1.5GB (assumed for Mini)
- Rear-facing camera: 8MP; 13MP (GS4); 8MP (assumed for Mini)
- Front-facing camera: 1.9MP; 2MP (GS4); 2.1MP (assumed for Mini)
- Battery: 1,900mAh
- Internal storage: 8GB (expandable up to 64GB)
- Android 4.2.2
Scott Hooton, Chief Commercial Officer at Phones 4u, said:
We know that there's a huge appetite for Samsung Galaxy devices, with the Samsung Galaxy S4 being the biggest selling new smartphone of 2013 at Phones 4u. With the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Samsung has packed the incredible new features into a smaller design which will appeal to a different audience, and we anticipate it will be well received by our customers.While Samsung did not reveal either a price or release date, retailer Phones 4u spilled the beans slightly -- at least for the U.K. It said it will be stocking the handset "when it becomes available in the UK in July 2013."
We know that screen size is really important, with YouGov* research showing that 54% of people say that this is in their top five most important features when picking a new smartphone. With the addition of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to our current handset range at Phones 4u, we will have an extensive collection of Samsung smartphones to suit all tastes, whether big or small.