Among the most notable changes is the introduction of incoming Google+ notifications (did you really expect Google to take a long time to add this?). Users will see notifications of direct shares, comments and mentions, as well as be able to comment and +1 other users' posts. Incoming notifications of Google+ Hangouts are also available.
In addition, the update restricts background uploads. These will now only be triggered when the device is both plugged in to a charger and on wi-fi. That change will conserve power. Users sayd that battery life on the first-generation device leaves a lot to be desired, averaging about three to three-and-a-half hours.
Even those who criticize their smartphones have to blanch at that figure.
The changelist for XE5, according to Google Glass support, is:
- Change to sync policy: require power + wifi for background uploads
- Crash reporting
- Incoming G+ notifications (direct shares, comments, +mentions), including ability to comment and +1
- Incoming Hangout notifications
- Transcription of queries & messages is now wicked-fast
- Long-press to search from anywhere in the UI (no longer just from off)
- International number dialing + SMS
- Hop animation on disallowed swipes in the UI
- New On-Head Detection calibration flow
- Show device Serial Number on Device Info card
- More reliable estimation of battery charge remaining
- New recipient-list mosaic