Here's what the Google Play team has to say to their customers:
It was just a year ago today that we launched this amazing shop on the interwebs to offer the best in digital content. Since the best parties are the ones that send you home with a present, today we celebrate our birthday with a festive goodie bag full of gifts. Don’t delay in picking up these limited-time offers.As of the first day, Wednesday, the store has the following deals (these will change as the week goes on):
Continue the celebration all week with even more special deals on music, movies, books, magazines and TV along with exclusive gaming gifts. It’s been an incredible first year and we look forward to sharing the gift of digital diversions for many more to come.
- The Fancy app includes a $15 gift card.
- The Gyft app gives you $20, not $10 in free gift cards upon installation. Of course, you don't get to choose those cards; they appear to be from Shoptique and Posh Mommy.
- Free TV episode: "Breaking Bad" pilot
- Gnome Village app: includes "Mars Location," an all-new world with unique characters and quests, exclusive to Google Play for a limited time.
- Hotels.com app: 10 percent off bookings for a limited time.
- Yumby Smash app: a limited edition Yumby character called Yumbot.
- Special pricing for the "Kung Fu Panda" video.
- Royal Revolt app: includes a custom birthday-wish themed map, a unique item and 50 percent savings on in-game goodies, exclusive to Google Play.
- Free track from LCD Soundsystem: "All My Friends."
- Free track from The Velvet Underground: "Sweet Jane."
- Free book: "A Quest of Heroes."
- Google Play now has over 5 million eBook titles, up from the four million the company reported via its support site last year.
- Google Music has more than 18 million tracks, just about on par with streaming services like Rdio (in comparison, Apple has about 30 million tracks in iTunes and Amazon.com has about 19 million).
- Google also reiterated some numbers we have heard before: 700,000 apps, 25 billion app downloads, 500 million total Android device activations and 1.3 million activations daily.
Happy Birthday, Google Play.