Insight Timer - Meditation Timer is priced at $1.99 in Google Play; it is normally priced at $1.99 at the Amazon Appstore. As we've noted before, there are sometimes differences in pricing and availability between the two marketplaces.
Insight Timer - Meditation Timer is described as follows:
Imagine the sound of beautiful Tibetan singing bowls, gently and peacefully guiding you through your meditation session. Your attention focused inward with no need to worry about the clock…Insight Timer - Meditation Timer has a 4.8-star rating in Google Play; it has a 4.6-star rating in the Amazon Appstore.
Insight Timer gives you this and much more. It's simple enough to get started with just a few taps, yet powerful enough to handle the most sophisticated meditation routines with advanced features such as interval bells, presets and a meditation journal.
With the Insight Connect feature, you can become part of a global meditation community - seeing at a glance people around the world who are meditating with you. Link your Facebook or Twitter account and you and your friends can follow and support one another's practice. You can also make new friends who share your love of meditation.
* * * * * * * * * *
- You'll love our bells! Recorded with high quality digital audio equipment at a famous meditation center, these new bell samples are amazing. Crystal clear with extra long fade outs. They sound great with the built-in speaker, but to get the full effect, try using headphones or external speakers.
- Choose from seven different bells of varying size and metal compositions - from bright and clean to deep and complex with lovely overtones. A wood block sound is also included.
- Bells can be configured to ring at the start, the end, and at specified times during your session. Each bell can be set to ring once, twice or three times. The delay between strikes is configurable from 1 to 20 seconds.
- Powerful logging and statistics features allow you to track your progress over time. Multiple charts, a complete session log and helpful statistics give you a complete picture of how your practice is evolving.
- Presets allow you to save an unlimited number of configurations and assign names to them. If you have multiple meditation routines (such as Morning and Evening), this makes it easy to switch between them without any configuration changes.
- You may set a background image from your own photo album. While the timer is running, your image is shown full screen. Optionally, the time display and controls can be hidden so that they are shown only when the image is tapped.
- Meditation Journal: You may enter notes about each session when the timer ends - a practice that many people find to be helpful and therapeutic. Your journal entries can be exported via an email attachment. Journal access may be password protected to ensure privacy.
- Insight Timer is geared toward meditation, but it also works great for yoga, Reiki, exercise or any other activity that you wish to time.
- Pause and resume your timer session.
- Bells will ring even when the device is locked so you can turn off the screen to save power and eliminate ambient light.
We continue to be disappointed with the FAOTD program. It began promisingly enough, with Angry Birds Rio, but we've gotten tired of the endless games or niche apps, and especially apps which have no uptake in Google Play, and seem to be FAOTD as a desperation move by the developer.
We'd like to see free versions of say, Office-compatible software or useful utilities such as CalenGoo instead of niche apps or endless games (we just assume every day that it's going to be a game; it's gotten that bad).
Amazon.com opened up the Appstore despite a lawsuit by Apple, which has previously trademarked the term "App Store." Microsoft has filed an appeal against that trademark, saying the term is too generic. Amazon.com has responded to the lawsuit in the same manner.
Apple has already lost a portion of that lawsuit, which said Amazon.com had participated in "false advertising."