Friday, August 31, 2012

'Drone strike tracking' app sees repeated from the App Store rejections

Josh Begley has developed an informative app that has been continually rejected by the App Store. It's called Drones+, and Apple has rejected it - three times - in the last month.

The app isn't a game, as the name may lead you to believe. Instead, it alerts end users whenever the U.S. executes a drone strike in Pakistan, Yemen or Somalia. The strike is marked on a map with a pushpin; clicking on the pushpin will bring up news reports about the strike.

The data is pulled from a publicly available database that is maintained by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism in the U.K.

The reasons for rejection differ in all of the cases. First, Apple called the application “not useful.” When Begley submitted the app for a second time, it was rejected because of an issue with hiding a corporate logo. The last rejection came because, Apple said, the content was "objectionable and crude."

With this third rejection, Begley is considering giving up. After all, as opposed to a rejection due to functionality, the new rejection is over content, as as he said, “If the content is found to be objectionable, and it’s literally just an aggregation of news, I don’t know how to change that.”

You can see from the embedded video that Begley's app doesn't bring up images or video of burned or dismembered bodies. Instead, it's very basic.

His idea, he said, was to give iOS users usable, aggregated content on U.S. drone attacks, which have proven controversial. Instead, it seems the process has given Begley insight into the sometimes confusing world of App Store rejections.

Begley’s currently considering moving to the wide open spaces of Google Play, and Android, though he may still try the App Store, again.

No comments: